Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fighting off Depression and the Blues with Truth

Have you ever felt this way? 
 
So lately, it just seems that everything in life seems so blue to me.  I am so overwhelmed with life.  I feel so discontent with life....I do not know why, but its like I just can't get my mind made up to enjoy the day.  There seems to be nothing out there to look forward to, I do not even feel like I matter.    

These were some of the words that I wrote down one day when I was really under the weather.  But thankfully hidden deep down inside my mind,  I had hope for a better tomorrow because of God in my life and his promises.  Though at the time I could not "FEEL" hope or even begin to rise from the pit, one thing that kept me going was knowing God's Word was true and faithful.


 Have you ever had these Thoughts?


"You're not worth it, you're spent, you've messed up way too much.  You life has lost its purpose."  

There was a time in my life that I believed these thoughts and let it run around in my mind far too long.  I know for me believing these thoughts made me think other negative thoughts and led to more negative thoughts.  Soon the housework overwhelmed me.  My husband was the source of my bitterness and anger.  And I felt that I was losing my mind with my little one!  Then I felt guilty for blaming everyone and thinking I was such a bad mother...etc

I just want to say you are not alone in how you feel and how maybe these thoughts come and go.  But as far as these thoughts go--They are not true.  These negative thoughts are lies and again, NOT TRUE.

The Way Out: By His Word


How God took me out of that pit of depression was through His Word.  Little by little he coaxed me by his promises.  So many times we may fight his soft loving voice, but faithful to us He remains and his promises are so true even when we fall into the pit of depression.  No matter what we feel like or hate to do this, Open up the Word of God. 

Whenever you start feeling this way or start thinking thoughts like this, Stop.  I know that it kind of creeps on us at times, but once we notice it we have the power to stop the downward spiral.  We do not have to fall into the pit.  Even if we do fall into the pit of despair and depression--We can get back up.  We don't have to stay there.  We do not have to go through the spiral of Sadness, Depression, Despair, Anger, Guilt, Low Self Esteem, etc.  At least that's how my spiral cycles goes. I want to state this again:  We can stop.  We can get out of this pit.  

Claiming Who we are in Christ:
The thoughts I think about all attack who I was.  So looking back on those dark days, I found that Ephesians was a good place for me to draw some good affirmations of who I was in Christ.  Not what I thought about myself, but what the bible said about who I was.

As I was going through Fit Moms for Life one of the aspects they do is "Affirmations".  When I was an active Mary Kay Consultant a years ago, we were encouraged to do the same kind of things by pinning up around the house "Daily Affirmations".  They caught on to something about the mind!  If I could glean from this, as a Christian we ought to think positively and have some daily Affirmations of our own!  And a bible study I did with a Beth Moore Believing God Bible study series encouraged the same thing!  I don't know why I did not pick up on it sooner, but it is invaluable!

I encourage you as I am going to do, to Read Ephesians even if it is just the first chapter.  I'll help pick out some things that really can  help me when I feel myself get to the valley.

You are Blessed.  (Ephesians 1:3)                         I am Blessed.
You are Chosen.  (Ephesians 1:4)                         I am Chosen.
You are Redeemed.   (Ephesians 1:7)                   I am Redeemed.
You are Justified.  (Ephesians 1:7)                         I am Justified.
You are Accepted.  (Ephesians 1:6)                      I am Accepted.
You are Forgiven. (Ephesians 1:7)                         I am Forgiven.                                           .

"In Love (Jesus) I am Blessed, Chosen, Adopted, Accepted, Redeemed and Forgiven."


I do not claim to be a professional or expert in matters like this.  But I just wanted to provide you with my experience and how I am finding a way out of the pit.  I was just thinking that this is what God wanted me to say and share with you all.

Romans 8:38-39 (New King James Version)

38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Thanks so much for sharing! I recently did a Bible study with the woman in our church on the same subject and it was really good. As a Pastor's wife I struggle sometimes finding the right word for people and the verses you shared from Eph. have always been very helpful to encourage them!

    ReplyDelete