Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ephesians Bible Study:A Discover Together Study

I love reading the book of Ephesians.  I think I have gone through this book a couple of times with a couple of group Bible Studies.  Though I liked doing a group Bible Study, I really appreciated Author Sue Edwards direction in her Ephesians Study.


When beginning the study of Ephesians, she offers a background that helps us visualize and understand why Paul is writing.  The context really helped me understand what was going on, and also helped me see how very relevant the book of Ephesians is to me in this day and age where godlessness abounds.

I absolutely loved the progression of the Lesson.  It starts us from who we are in Christ and our position in Jesus Christ.  We are seated in Christ Jesus at the right hand of God!  Praise God! And then it progresses to learning how to live in Him and to have a life of prayer.  From there it goes to work and what that looks like in a born again believer.  In Lesson 4 Paul addresses the importance of the unity of believers.  And how we are to be built together.  Then Lesson 6-8 it seems to address the action and life of a believer in terms of what we "do" and how we are "walking" in relation to relationships in and out of the home.  Finally in Lesson 9 it seems like if we know who we are and practice all that we learned we are called to stand!  Stand in Jesus Christ and in all that He has given us.

Lesson 1:  Learn to Sit
Lesson 2:  Sit and Pray
Lesson 3:  Sit Down to Work
Lesson 4:  Sit Down Together
Lesson 5:  Sit Down to Walk
Lesson 6:  Tripping Over Your Tongue? Talk Your Walk!
Lesson 7:  Walking "Under the Influence"
Lesson 8  Walk Worthy in Relationships
Lesson 9  Sit Down to Stand

Snippet of Lesson 2 of the Ephesians Bible  Study:  

In the next chapter we discover what the role of prayer is in our lives--and the importance of communing in fellowship with God throughout the whole day.  Prayer is so much more than just a "block of time".  It is not just asking, but so much more.  I especially appreciated reading and studying the great prayers throughout the Bible of godly men and women.  I am convicted at how my prayer life is not a portrayal of my life, but just a short blip of a conversation.  When in fact prayer is this as John White puts it:
Prayer is not you trying to move God. Prayer is among other things, being caught up into God's directions and activity.  He orders the affairs of the universe, and he invites you to participate by prayer.  Intercession is God and you in partnership, bringing his perfect plans into being.  (The Fight, 27)
The second chapter is by far my favorite because of how much I was convicted of my lack of a prayerful life!

My Thoughts:   I really enjoyed how clear and focused each chapter was.  Each page almost seems to have some little note that helped me understand deeper what I was studying, and also encouraged me as I went through the devotional.

With every chapter I studied, I am placed in a position to Read the Word and to answer questions based upon the portion of reading I did.  This method of question and answering reminded me of homework I do in a women's Bible Study Fellowship I am apart of.  The idea is that it is straight from the Word of God.  Provokes my thoughts, and allows me to retain what was read and studied.  I love this method of study because I feel like God is using this to get me to read a whole book little by little while slowly digesting it's hidden nuggets of truth.

This study is definitely something I enjoy, and Sue Edwards as an author who's such an encouragement in my walk.  Through author chats and her online Facebook Fan Page, I find that she is open and available for those who may have questions or just looking for some encouragement!  I highly recommend this book: 5 out of 5 stars.

Meet Sue: Sue Edwards (MA, Dallas Theological Seminary; D.Min., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary) teaches full-time in the Christian Education Department at Dallas Theological Seminary. She has more than twenty-five years of experience teaching, pastoring, and directing women's ministries. In addition, Sue speaks at retreats, conferences, and seminars across the country. She is the coauthor of Women's Retreats and New Doors in Ministry to Women, and the author of the new Sue Edwards Inductive Bible Study series.




Disclosure:  I was given a free copy of the book for the purpose of this review.  I was not compensated in any other way.  All opinions are mine, and I was not required to write a positive review.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this neat resource! I love the part about prayer, too; it made me want to read the whole book. I definitely could stay in touch with God more throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete