Friday, September 16, 2011

Jenn Bostic- "Jealous of the Angels"


Have you ever lost someone in your family or a close friend? 
I know that I have been fortunate to not lose a family member yet, but I do have grandparents who are reaching the ends of their lives.  I have however have lost close friends that are forever in my memory.   I know that up above they watch me and root me on to live my life well and to be faithful to the One who has always been there for me.  I know that there is a great cloud of witnesses up above somewhere watching our lives play out before them.

I was contacted to share this song "Jealous of the Angels" by Jenn Bostic.  This is her song, and reason for writing her song.  I hope you enjoy!







"Jealous of the Angels," was written for my dad.  He passed away in a tragic car accident when I was ten years old.  Music and songwriting became the only forms of therapy that truly allowed me to express my emotions.  I have written multiple songs on this subject, but it wasn't until fourteen years after his death that we (cowriters Zach Runquist and Jimmy Fortune) created something that represented everything I felt.  I remember saying that night that my one wish was to know that he was smiling down on me and that he was proud of me.  That night I prayed.  I prayed every night for two months that God would give me some sort of sign that my dad was smiling down on me.  I didn't tell anyone what I was praying for, but I was believing God for a selfish answer.  On Christmas Eve that year, my best friend in the world, who has been with me through everything, called me from Oregon at 7:15 in the morning to tell me about a dream she had had the night before.  She said my dad was in her dream and said, "Please tell Jenn I'm so proud of her and that I'm at every one of her shows."




 I share this story whenever I perform "Jealous of the Angels."  It is a huge part of my testimony.  As I began sharing it inspired others to tell me there stories.  Soon I was receiving emails and facebook messages from strangers telling me their intimate stories about loss and how much my song had spoken to them.  When we had written this song I thought this was a blessing for me to have some sort of closure with any uncertainty I might have had, but I started to realize and continued to everyday, that God is using this song to touch the hearts of those who have lost loved ones, to comfort them and to help them heal.  I feel so blessed to be a part of it.  The stories kept coming, I cannot count on two hands the amount of people who have come up to me in tears after a show telling them how much "Jealous of the Angels" touched them and exactly who it makes them think of.  The stories have not only been an affirmation that God is at work through the song, but they are healing and comforting to me as well.  This is what inspired my team and I to develop a weekly blog featuring one of these stories each week.  The stories and comments continue to blow me away.  I thank God everyday for the gifts He has given me, and am now trying to live up to responsibility I have with them.”


No comments:

Post a Comment