Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fasting- Word Filled Wenesdays

Fasting.   
A period of such abstention or self-denial.




For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.  
For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that I do.  
Romans 7:15-16

Have you ever felt this in your walk with God?  
Last night in the middle of the night was when I finally opened my Bible to have my devotions to God.  I shake my head as I type out "devotion" because inwardly I know that it is just irony.  I put off spending time in the word all day until midnight! 

Midnight is the time when everything in the world seems to stop pulling for my time and attention.  Throughout the day I get pulled to watch tv, surf the internet, read other books, do other things.  I find myself pushing God out of my life.  I find it tiresome to read the Word.  So lastnight God just brought into my heart this verse. 


It is Written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Mathew 4:4

I need to depend on God all day, and have His Word become what I need on a daily basis.  Not the carnal activities I do...that I have become dependent upon and feel that I 'need' to do.  (I hope that this makes sense to you!)  

In order to be victorious I have decided to fast.  I decided to turn my attention to that which is Spiritual instead of Carnal.  I want to starve my fleshly nature and say no to my fleshly sin nature.   I am going to leave the Television off, and immerse myself in the Word, and to force myself to meditate on the Word of God.  As well as to just remind myself that, that old me that sinful nature inside of me was put to death...and I need to stop trying to feed a dead body!!!  :)

So when I do physically fast today, I will be mindful of the hunger pains I have---but I will not give in to them.  Just as I will not give into the hunger pains I will have, I will not give into my fleshly urges!  Instead I will feed my Spirit by meditating on the Word of God, praying, and just really focusing on my relationship with God.

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh to live after the flesh.
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.  (Romans 8:10-13)


No Condemnation Now (Romans 8)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing how God's been working in your heart. It's a good reminder for all of us . . . And my photo/verse this week also involves bread! I'm visiting with Word-filled Wednesday from Doorkeeper (http://reneeannsmith.com/). Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you are not alone in struggling to find the time...but it's in the Word where that food...real food lies...the food to get us through this thing called life. Your honest transparency is beautiful...Thnk you for joining us this week...it's been a blessing!

    ReplyDelete