Wednesday, February 23, 2011


Nell
Ellen Herndon Arthur, "Nell"


"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.  Give her the reward she has earned and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.  
Proverbs 31:29-31

Nell was Chester Arthur's Wife, I felt that she exuded just being a wife that even after death, remained such an influence to our President Chester.  She was so important to him, that Chester asked for roses to be placed underneath her portrait in the state hallway where everyone may see her.  I feel that a wife that has long past, yet remains to be dearly loved and remembered by her husband was certainly a wife who uplifted her husband and brought him good and not evil during her life.  I feel that Nell was a faithful and supportive woman to her husband.  She although died before seeing her husband get elected for president, kind of helped him get to where he was at.  I am reading and learning about the Faith of America's First Ladies--and I just thought I would share this with you all.  If I do ever die before my husband, I would want my children and my husband to remember me as a woman who surpasses them all.  Not that I do not want to have them be motherless and never have my husband remarry, but just leave them with all the wisdom I have, and a living example of a virtuous woman.  I want to impress upon them the virtues of the Proverbs 31 woman and leave them with that and not leave with an unfaithful housewife who was lazy! 

1 comment:

  1. So good... I echo your desires, though my flesh can be lazy! And, it drives me mad... just the battle I face as I serve the Lord and better to be in battle than to sit complacent. Great post, enjoyed reading about Nell :)

    ReplyDelete