Friday, February 21, 2014

Ruthless: Knowing the God Who Fights For You by Bo Stern

Disclosure: I did receive a free copy of the book for the purpose of writing a review.  This did not affect my review.  I was not paid to write this review.   



I would have never described God as One who is Ruthless. Yet through the perspective of Author Bo Stern, I can understand how this word does indeed rightfully describe our God—and I am glad He is Ruthless.  In the midst of the storms and struggles she peers into the character of God, and finds Him to be “standing strong and relentless against the enemies you face.” He is not the enemy throwing and hurling “rocks” at us.  Instead He is the one fighting for us, ruthlessly.  As I examine myself and my own thoughts about God, I realize I do doubt the goodness of God.  But why?  I am called to question why I think God these thoughts about Him.  So I bring to the table all my accusations that I hold inside, and one by one as I read through the chapters I realize how my thoughts have gone incredibly awry.  Why have I resented God for the hardships in my life?  Why did I doubt His goodness?  His love?  There is no cause for it.  Bo Stern calls us to discover our God.

We get to know Him more as Stern takes us through examples in the Bible.  I love that the Bible is  frequently quotes and used in this book. The chapters are short and easy reading.  I find that I can hold onto a nugget from every chapter.  At the end of each chapter are “Worth Pondering” questions that are meant to stretch me, challenge me, and help me discover the thoughts of my heart.

Bo Stern’s heart in this book makes reading so easy, as if we are  arm in arm  taking a stroll and talking.  In life I find myself doubting the goodness of God now and again, and with every chapter I find those doubts in my head take flight.

I do recommend this book for those in search or in need of knowing God.  For those who have doubts about God or even his goodness, I recommend this book to you.  Those who feel shallow in their faith or far from God--I highly recommend this book.  Curious about God and who He is?  This book will allow you to peer into the very character of God.  This is a book I recommend all around, Stern is a very readable author, and has gone through some very tough battles--and her faith and love towards God has grown.  Ruthless is such an encouraging book for those facing really big battles in their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment