Tuesday, November 26, 2013

If you love Jane Austen, I have a Novel you do not want to miss reading!


 Disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book for the sole purpose of writing a review.  I was not compensated in any other way.  All that is written  here is my own words and my honest opinion.  


I am a fan of Jane Austen's novels, and this book does a great job in honoring her story through Sam and Mr. Knightley.


A little bit about the book:
Author Reay has the main character,Samantha Moore, who has gone through a rough childhood up till her current age at 23.  Living in and out of foster homes is hard enough, but the reason why she is out of the foster homes is simply for the fact of not being able to relate at all to the foster parents.  Now her age of adoption or foster homes have gone, and she finds herself under the care of Father John at Grace House.
 But she is still  struggling to get her feet on the ground--trying to find her spot in life...without the help of anyone.  She finds life's answers through the  pages of Jane Austen's novels.  Her escape, her mask are none other than the beloved characters within Austen's novels.  Hoping to be a Jane Bennet or Emma she quite often fears she is more of a Harriet Smith.

Yet through a scholarship to Medill School of Journalism she finds hope to be something more than a failure.  Through a series of letters to a "Mr. Knighley" she finds herself taking steps she never dreamt to have taken!


What I loved about this book:
Not to mention a little bit of romance!  What kind of Jane Austen type of novel would this be without it?

I have to admit my little college goofy self came back for a while as I read this.  My husband rolled his eyes at me for squealing at different times in this book when I uncovered the mystery behind the letter.  In short, the quotes were perfectly placed, and felt natural coming out of the different charactersn

I quite enjoyed the fact that Samantha was a bit of an outsider.  Her awkwardness appealed to me.  I can relate to awkward!  Author Reay wove so many elements in which a person can be closed off to life and to people.  And yet in the end, it was amazing how those same closed doors opened up to a life full.  I absolutely love the ending in which Samantha becomes apart of so many lives.

Katherine Reay created so many characters that just really rends your heart!  We have Kyle who is one of the orphans that like Sam is in and out of foster homes.  But he still has a chance to get adopted.  He will not let anyone in.  Then we have Cara another orphan who seemed to fall through the cracks.  Cara's relationship with Sam is rough and a stormy one, but also helps transform Sam's person.  There are other memorable characters...that you will fall in love with such as the Muirs.  I can tell you,  you will love this book.  It is a book that one has to pick up and read twice and a few times over!

Enjoyed this Review and Want MORE?
Reay’s debut novel follows one young woman’s journey as she sheds her protective persona and embraces the person she was meant to become.



No comments:

Post a Comment